St. Ignatius

St. Ignatius
Daily Ignatian Prayer and Reflection - Ateneo de Davao University Basic Education

Saturday, July 26, 2014

26th Day of Ignatian Reflection


Matthew 13: 31-35

July 26, 2014; Feast of St. Ignatius month celebration






Matthew 13:31-35: The Parable of the mustard seed and yeast

31 Another parable He put before them, saying, "The kingdom of heaven is like a grain of mustard seed which a man took and sowed in his field; 32 It is the smallest of all seeds, but when it has grown it is the greatest of shrubs and becomes a tree, so that the birds of the air come and make nests in its branches." 33 He told them another parable. "The kingdom of heaven is like yeast that a woman took and mixed in with three measures of flour, until all of it was all leavened." 34 Jesus told the crowds all these things in parables; without a parable he told them nothing. 35 This was to fulfil what had been through the prophet: "I will proclaim what has been hidden from the foundation of the world."

 
 
 
Reflection:

 In the gospel reading today, Jesus compares the kingdom of God to a mustard seed and yeast.  How do we describe a mustard seed and yeast?  A mustard seed is very tiny, but when properly planted and cared for, it can grow into a tree and can be a home to a lot of birds.  On the other hand, when properly mixed with a piece of dough, yeast can transform the dough into a loaf of bread and can nourish and sustain one’s life.

 

Just like a mustard seed, God’s love is planted in our hearts.  Though individually we’re small compared to the entire world, but if we embrace and nurture this love by living our faith in our daily life and sharing God’s goodness with others, the kingdom of God will grow.  Our lives will become an inspiration to others and will move others to pass forward the love they experience with us. 

 

I believe in the adage that goes, “Great things start from small beginnings.”  There can be peace in the world only if there’s peace in every nation.  There can be peace in every nation if there’s peace in every family. And there can be peace in every family only if there’s peace within ourselves.  The song “Grant me serenity within, for the confusions around are mere reflections of what’s within me” reminds me of this.

 

In my journey to wholeness, I am humbled by my experience of God’s love in my life.  God made me realize that I cannot love others if deep within me I feel unloved and unlovable.  I cannot care for others if I don’t even know how to take care of myself.  I cannot affirm others if I don’t accept and befriend myself.  I can’t be grateful to others if I am not even grateful to my God who has given me a lot of graces and gifts.  I cannot trust others if I can’t trust myself.  I cannot forgive others if I can’t even forgive my own mistakes and misgivings.  I will not be happy to see other people happy if in my heart resides hatred, anger and resentment.

 

I realized that I cannot give what I don’t have for everything comes from the self because God dwells in there.  It was only when I started to recognize this loving presence of God in my life that the emptiness within me was slowly replaced with meaning and joy.  When I learned to forgive and accept myself, I also learned to appreciate the giftedness of others.  The tiny seed of love God planted in my heart has slowly blossomed, allowing me to wholeheartedly embrace my mission as a wife, mother, teacher, mentor and friend.

 

I pray that God sustain me with His loving presence.   I pray that the Holy Spirit, like yeast, continue to transform me and inspire me to be the living witness of His love at home with my family, in school with my colleagues and students and in every moment of my life.  I pray that we experience joy amidst our imperfect self and chaotic world around us.  May we do things for the greater good and the glory of His kingdom.  Amen.

 

Reflection questions:

1.    Do I allow God’s love to dwell in my heart?

2.    Do I allow the Holy Spirit to transform my life?

3.    How do I live my faith in my daily life?




                                                                                           MArinar F. Castro
Sac.IT    













No comments:

Post a Comment