St. Ignatius

St. Ignatius
Daily Ignatian Prayer and Reflection - Ateneo de Davao University Basic Education

Saturday, July 19, 2014

19th Day of Ignatian Reflection

July 19, 2014

Gospel: Matthew 12:14-21



The Pharisees went out and took counsel against Jesus to put him to death. When Jesus realized this, he withdrew from that place. Many people followed him, and he cured them all, but he warned them not to make him known. This was to fulfill what had been spoken through Isaiah the prophet: Behold, my servant whom I have chosen, my beloved in whom I delight; I shall place my Spirit upon him, and he will proclaim justice to the Gentiles. He will not contend or cry out, nor will anyone hear his voice in the streets. A bruised reed he will not break, a smoldering wick he will not quench, until he brings justice to victory. And in his name the Gentiles will hope.

Reflection:

Jesus is not just a doctrinal indicative. He is a moral imperative. No one looks at Jesus and admires Him from a distance. He draws us to be like him. He attracts us to follow him. One thing that this reading emphasized is how Jesus looks at the greater good and that greater good is not to protect His life but to continue to serve the people that He dearly love.  And this love for His people eventually culminated in His death on the cross. That is the whole idea of magis –What more can I do for the crucified glorified Jesus or the CGJ?

 I think in the gospel today, we are challenged to see Christ more clearly in our desire to serve Him and His people. We will do what Jesus did in the reading where he continued to do His acts of mercy even if His life was already in danger. We should not be afraid to give our very life for the sake of our fellowmen. I have known so many people who selflessly gave and offered their lives so that others may live and be free. This is best exemplified by our heroes, parents, teachers, missionaries and priests who selflessly gave their lives for our sake. This the challenged of St. Ignatius for us to do more for Christ. It is always to do more for Christ, more for God, more for Christ even up to death. We should love Jesus more than we love our life and we should also concern with greater need of our fellowmen, other people and fellow Ateneans. We must always treasure time and life for other people. It is because if we truly follow Christ we should not have self-preservation and hesitation.


Questions:
1.     What more can I do for the crucified glorified Jesus?
2.     How can I make an offering of greater love like Jesus?
3.     Why do I need to protect my fellowmen as what Jesus did in the gospel?
4.     How am I going to serve the people that Jesus dearly love?


Reflection by: Zenon Batubalonos




















No comments:

Post a Comment