St. Ignatius

St. Ignatius
Daily Ignatian Prayer and Reflection - Ateneo de Davao University Basic Education

Monday, July 14, 2014

Day 13 of Ignatian Reflection

July 13, 2014-    Mt. 13:1-23, The Parable Of The Seed     















13 That same day Jesus went out of the house and sat by the lake. 2 Such large crowds gathered around him that he got into a boat and sat in it, while all the people stood on the shore. 3 Then he told them many things in parables, saying: “A farmer went out to sow his seed. 4 As he was scattering the seed, some fell along the path, and the birds came and ate it up. 5 Some fell on rocky places, where it did not have much soil. It sprang up quickly, because the soil was shallow. 6 But when the sun came up, the plants were scorched, and they withered because they had no root. 7 Other seed fell among thorns, which grew up and choked the plants. 8 Still other seed fell on good soil, where it produced a crop—a hundred, sixty or thirty times what was sown. 9 Whoever has ears, let them hear.”

10 The disciples came to him and asked, “Why do you speak to the people in parables?”

11 He replied, “Because the knowledge of the secrets of the kingdom of heaven has been given to you, but not to them. 12 Whoever has will be given more, and they will have an abundance. Whoever does not have, even what they have will be taken from them. 13 This is why I speak to them in parables:

“Though seeing, they do not see;
    though hearing, they do not hear or understand.
14 In them is fulfilled the prophecy of Isaiah:

“‘You will be ever hearing but never understanding;
    you will be ever seeing but never perceiving.
15 For this people’s heart has become calloused;
    they hardly hear with their ears,
    and they have closed their eyes.
Otherwise they might see with their eyes,
    hear with their ears,
    understand with their hearts
and turn, and I would heal them.’[a]
16 But blessed are your eyes because they see, and your ears because they hear. 17 For truly I tell you, many prophets and righteous people longed to see what you see but did not see it, and to hear what you hear but did not hear it.

18 “Listen then to what the parable of the sower means: 19 When anyone hears the message about the kingdom and does not understand it, the evil one comes and snatches away what was sown in their heart. This is the seed sown along the path. 20 The seed falling on rocky ground refers to someone who hears the word and at once receives it with joy. 21 But since they have no root, they last only a short time. When trouble or persecution comes because of the word, they quickly fall away. 22 The seed falling among the thorns refers to someone who hears the word, but the worries of this life and the deceitfulness of wealth choke the word, making it unfruitful. 23 But the seed falling on good soil refers to someone who hears the word and understands it. This is the one who produces a crop, yielding a hundred, sixty or thirty times what was sown.”


Reflection:

First of all, I would like to admit that there were times in my life when I became  like the seeds that fell along the path or on the patches of rock or on the briers.  My faith experience, like anyone else, is also challenged at times as it gradually grows into maturity. 
         However, I want to make my faith experience as a seed that falls on a good soil as an inspiration to others.
          I see my life today as a seed that falls on the good soil.  I live a very peaceful life.  How did I get a peaceful life? Simple, I pray to God and live a life of humility and submission, I practice a disciplined  lifestyle and I live a life of good and happy relationship with others.  What do I mean with this?
         First, I pray to God and live a life of humility and submission.  The  message of God makes me decide to establish a good relationship with Him.  Then I personally believe that prayer is the best way to nurture that relationship with Him.  So I keep on praying to Him day and night and I discover that I am getting close with Him.  I feel Him as a Father, a Brother, a Friend, and a  Counsel.  I feel Him very close to me.   Since I am getting close with Him, it becomes easy for me to hear and understand what He wants and likes for my life.  Because, I feel Him as a loving Father God, I decided to submit myself to His will.  I try to follow what He wants for me like living a life of humility.  I discover further that humility brings a lot of good things to me like one day my father was punched straight on his face by a co-senior citizen during their chapter meeting.  He fell to the ground without anybody helped him up.  My mom called all her children to act upon it and asked justice for my dad.  I, being the eldest among children, led the group to a decision of forgiving the aggressor instead of pursuing on the case.  This act for me is an act of humility and forgiveness.  This eventually brought continued peace to our family after that challenge.  Our decision of forgiving the aggressor and forgetting the human violation gave our family a sustained peace.  For me this attitude is humility and submission to the will of God.  God is a God of humility.  Listening, therefore, to this message is listening to God.  Hence, the words of God bear many fruits in my life.
         Second, I practice a disciplined lifestyle.  God’s word is telling me that the best life is to abide with what is natural.  I believe in it because I believe that God is Lord of nature.  With nature there is a balance.  God made nature as the best picture of balance and interconnectedness.  God sees to it that what He creates is always good and even very good (Gen.1:1-31).  So I live with this principle.  Excesses in a lifestyle is always a threat to life and to the self.  For example, taking too much soft drinks and sweets  make one sick of diabetes and kidney stones; taking  too much fats and cholesterol makes one sick of high blood; the attitude of prolonging urination makes one sick of UTI; a person who works very hard and not provide himself a good rest will suffer from over fatigue;  a man who does a lot of abuses on his own life will surely suffer confusion if not perdition.  The abovementioned abuses are clear examples of how man can destroy his own life and suffer from bad preferences.  As for me, I enjoy a good health because I discipline my lifestyle.  I keep on eating vegetables everyday; I take minimal amount of soft drink and I practice water therapy every thirty minutes; I avoid eating fatty foods and I do physical exercises;  I sleep early in the evening and nap every noon time; I do not smoke; and I drink alcohol minimally.  A disciplined lifestyle therefore is a healthy lifestyle.  Life is intended to be simple and so I did not complicate it.  Hence, the result of this disciplined life is peace and happiness.  To listen to my nature therefore is to listen to my good God.

            Third and last, I live a life of good and happy relationship with others.  This means a lot of things.  I know that my relationship with God should bring me to love and serve others too.  Because I enjoy the love of God for me, I also enjoy giving out love and services to others.  I really enjoy  serving others.  If I happen to bring extra foods from school parties, I always give them to our neighbors who are deprived of good food.  I always wear a good smile and greet everybody to warm up their day.  I am fond of bringing my guitar and singing birthday songs to co-teachers/workers or my students who are celebrating their birthdays.  I do not oppose the ideas of others which I do not agree with.  I am fond of just letting people express their ideas freely without disagreeing with them.  I am a good listener. I listen to concerns and problems of others.  I am also fond of cracking humors in order to make others happy. In so doing, I realize that I am making a lot of friendships.  With all these, I am happy with my life.  I am very much contented.  My heart believes that I am doing exactly the will of God.  I am convinced that this contentment, peace and joy that I experience are all  happening because I make myself the good soil that receives the holy Word of God.

            And so, there are many specific ways on how to be the seed that falls on the good soil.  But, I believe that establishing a good relationship with God in prayer, humility and submission, disciplined lifestyle, and good relationship with others are key activities to make oneself the good soil of God’s word.
          


Reflection by: Esmeraldo C. Suarez

Grade 7- CLE Teacher

No comments:

Post a Comment