St. Ignatius

St. Ignatius
Daily Ignatian Prayer and Reflection - Ateneo de Davao University Basic Education

Friday, July 25, 2014

25th Day of Ignatian Reflection


Luke 10:38-42
July 25, 2014



Jesus visits Martha and Mary

 38 As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. 39 She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said. 40 But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!”
41 “Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, 42 but few things are needed—or indeed only one.[a] Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.”
 

 
REFLECTION:

I find today’s gospel more special to me because it focuses on two faithful women – Martha and Mary – and their gestures and choices in welcoming Jesus to their home. These women illustrate different ways of nurturing a relationship with God. One way is accepting Jesus by believing that what we do everyday serves and pleases HIM and other people. Like Martha, we tend to keep ourselves busy with material concerns, always worried with what others might say or think of us, and we become too traditional with our roles that sometimes, the choices we make become a hindrance to doing what is more important in life – that is, to find time to sit down and listen to what really God wants us to do. In the gospel, Martha was doing what a woman in their time was traditionally assigned to do. On the opposite, Mary left the ‘woman’s traditional role in the kitchen and instead sat at Jesus’ feet to listen to His words. Mary’s gesture is another way of nurturing a relationship with God. She may have appeared lazy in the eyes of Martha but this simple gesture of listening was more pleasing to Jesus because it doesn’t just give importance to what is essential in life but the act itself also empowers women to go beyond the traditional roles of attending to the domestic and worldly things and learn to take care of their own spirituality.

 

I am a woman. I perform different roles everyday. Like Martha, I have the passion to do what is expected of me as a sister, a daughter, a mother, a wife, a teacher, etc. But, as a believer, I also want to do things that will strengthen my relationship with God. Yes, I go to church and pray but sometimes my traditional roles distract me from listening to and accepting God’s word. This gospel reminds me to set priorities in my everyday life - to be like Mary who took the opportunity to sit down, set material concerns aside, and just listen to what God was telling her. I realized that the more I neglect God, the more I become anxious about the things around me. I should always keep in mind that God’s abundant blessings to me or the pains I experience do not give me a valid excuse to leave HIS side. I am empowered to choose the essential and take care of my spirituality. Just like what Jesus said to Martha, “Mary has chosen the better part, which will not be taken away from her.”  No one can stop me from doing what is essential for my faith to grow.

 

 

Reflection Questions:

 

1) What are your priorities in life?

2) To whom do you dedicate everything that you do everyday?

2) Do you spend time to listen to God and allow HIM to set your life in order amidst distractions?

 

 

Joan M. Abejaron

SAC- Social Studies
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment